Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Honored blade / Chassis


Sometimes when walking in the park I make it a point to look at the grass. I let my eyes wander until I'm able to focus on a single blade. I take a few moments to really take it in, noting its height, color, and angle compared to the thousands that surround it. The blade of grass in turn notices me and freezes, not expecting a set of human eyes to regard it with such attention. It must feel very privileged that a species of the highest order would dedicated even as much as a passing glance let alone a full 4 seconds of eye contact.

The surface of the earth 196,940,400 square miles, roughly 1/3 of which is habitable land. If 1/4 of what's left is covered in grass that leaves 16,411,699 square miles of grass. Assuming there are about 3,000 blades of grass in 1 square foot and there are 27,878,400 square feet in a mile that makes roughly 1,372,595,730,000,000,000 blades of grass on the planet.

Over 200 million blades of grass per person.

And here I am staring at a single one.

Of the hundreds of thousands of passerbys I'm certainly the only one who's bothered to notice this particular blade. If not for me it would have lived its life completely unnoticed. Stepped on, mowed down, laid upon, but never looked at.

It's safe to say that I've made it the envy of all the other grass in the world. I made it famous. It should thank me and die happy.

I pluck it, chew it, and move on.

zeroth life lesson: it's easy to make yourself feel important if you resort to pleasing flora. also fame is more often than not a random sham and is rarely warranted.

No comments:

Post a Comment