Friday, December 12, 2008

Poker sticks and strollers abound / Placard

Walking down the street while pushing a baby stroller and listening to my iPod I see what must be a city employee picking up trash off the sidewalk using a long poker type thing and a garbage can on wheels. He's in his mid to late 30's, slightly overweight, unshaven, balding, wearing a green one-piece jumpsuit.

I pass him, turn the corner, and see what appears to be the same guy about half way down the block. He's sporting the same gut, 3 day stubble, receding hair line, and green jumpsuit. I actually have to turn my head to verify that I'm not losing my mind and it's not the same dude. It's not, and then it occurs to me that most city employees on sidewalk trash duty probably look like these losers. I then wonder if he realizes this as well and feels ashamed that his lot in life can be so easily categorized by his attire, poker stick, and personal hygiene - that whatever special dreams he may have had when he was seven have all but been dashed as now he's nothing more than an indecipherable drone, completely unremarkable. All these thoughts are brewing in my head as I notice another man approaching me, listening to his iPod, pushing a stroller.

Touché.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of deep thoughts, i.e life lessons, this week Richie.

    That's my take on the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete