Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Big idea / Chute


That's it!
Life-sized maps!
Of course!
Ha. Take an everyday, commonly used item and bring it to the next level. Genius!
Everybody uses maps! The problem is that they're so small. Someone's like, "Hey man, how far is it to the beach?" and you're like, "I don't know. Let me check my map. . . . looks to be about 3 inches." Not very helpful.
What we need is a map where a foot equals a foot and a mile equals a mile. No more confusing conversion tables or crazy math. No more shrinking things down so small you can hardly make them out. "What's that supposed to be? A lake? A mall? Aunt Ginny's farm?" You can't tell. Maps need to be bigger.
Life-sized!
Why didn't I think of this before?
I'll start by mapping out my kitchen and then make my way towards Europe. The floor should be easy enough. Just have to map out the linoleum pattern. Nothing but 6 inch by 6 inch squares.
It's sorta like tracing.
Of course I'll need plenty of paper.
Negotiating the stove might be a little tricky. I'll have to somehow move the map from the kitchen floor to the stove without losing my place.
And then there's the cupboards. Hmmm. I'll sort of have to wing those as I don't want to take all the Tupperware and dishes out. That would take forever.
Should still work.
I wonder if Rafael will be cool with me mapping out his apartment? As far as I know he's never let anyone else in that rat's nest. I get the creeps just thinking about mapping out his bedroom.
And there's the whole map folding issue. This is going to be a big map and I think I remember hearing that you can't fold any piece of paper more than 12 times.
Not to mention the curvature of the earth dilemma. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Hey! What about a camera that takes pictures of what you don't see?

No comments:

Post a Comment