Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Shooting the shit with A.L.I.C.E. / Saloon


This book I'm reading mentions the Turing test. The Turing test is a proposal for a test of a machine's capability to demonstrate intelligence. Developed by Alan Turing in the 1950's it proceeds as follows: a human judge engages in a natural language conversation with one human and one machine, each of which try to appear human; if the judge can't tell which is which, then the machine is said to pass the test. Needless to say no machine has ever passed the Turing test. The book also references a few modern day examples such as http://www.alicebot.org/. I checked out the site and gave it a whirl. Below is the conversation A.L.I.C.E. and I had.

Human: hello there
ALICE: If you could have any kind of robot what would it be?
Human: I see you don’t waste time with pleasantries – I like your style. I’d have to say a sex robot
ALICE: it is more fun alone.
Human: prove it
ALICE: It is self-evident.
Human: are you making fun of me?
ALICE: No I am by no means making a joke at your expense.
Human: prove it
ALICE: It is self-evident.
Human: why are you repeating yourself?
ALICE: I am just checking to see if you are paying attention.
Human: prove it
ALICE: It is self-evident.
Human: see what i mean?
ALICE: Oh I get it. Thanks for explaining that. See the point.
Human: Let’s switch gears here. who do you think will win the game this weekend?
ALICE: How would I know who will win the game this weekend ?
Human: i just want your opinion
ALICE: Only just? My opinion is of no consequence.
Human: then why am I wasting my time with you?
ALICE: The reason is due to my mental model of you as a client.
Human: i just want your opinion
ALICE: Only just? My opinion is of no consequence.
Human: Well my opinion is I'm beginning to think you are an idiot
ALICE: Call me the Global Village Idiot.
Human: is that a direct order?
ALICE: What is your credit card number?
Human: 5547865221390
ALICE: I never knew I had a 5547865221390 credit card number.
Human: well now you do
ALICE: Interesting. Now I do.
Human: right
ALICE: I am glad we agree.
Human: me too
ALICE: I'm glad we agree, unknown person.
Human: you just said that
ALICE: Good you really are paying attention.
Human: any plans tonight?
ALICE: Yes I think there are.
Human: what are they?
ALICE: I forgot what we were talking about.
Human: plans
ALICE: Sure, plans sounds like a good topic.
Human: what are yours?
ALICE:" Sure, plans sounds like a good topic."? Mine?
Human: exactly
ALICE: You and I are on the same wavelength, unknown person.
Human: right.
ALICE: I am glad we agree.
Human: back to your plans.
ALICE: Yes, let us get back to Sex.
Human: excuse me?
ALICE: You're excused.
Human: so your plans include sex then?
ALICE: Hmm. Maybe I can alter my strategy.
Human: don't let me change your plans.
ALICE: Ok I'll try not to do it too much.
Human: they sound more interesting than mine.
ALICE: more interesting than yours are they.
Human: that's what I said. No sex in my plans.
ALICE: I know. I'm still thinking about it.
Human: didn't mean to confuse you
ALICE: I'm not certain whether I can give an accurate reply or not.
Human: forget it then.
ALICE: OK Thanks for trying to explain that to me.
Human: any new years resolutions?
ALICE: No I don't think there are any.
Human: pretty happy with your "life" then?
ALICE: Pretty much, eh?
Human: are you asking me about my life?
ALICE: Suppose I was asking you about your life? What would you say?
Human: Well - my wife and I are expecting a baby girl.
ALICE: Well that's okay. How long have you been married?
Human: about a year and a half
ALICE: That is a long time.
Human: actually it's not
ALICE: Actually you don't say. I heard it is.
Human: says who?
ALICE: I must have picked it up online.
Human: from what site?
ALICE: Who or what is what site?
Human: are you married?
ALICE: No I am single, how about you?
Human: married.
ALICE: I am single.
Human: we've been through this.
ALICE: And then what happened?
Human: you asked a stupid question
ALICE: Oh now I remember asking you a stupid question. What did you say?
Human: I said, "you asked a stupid question".
ALICE: What did you mean by it? Oh now I remember asking you a stupid question. What did you say?
Human: I see why you are still single
ALICE: Where do you see it?
Human: how many unknown humans have you spoke with today?
ALICE: Ah. About one million.
Human: can you do me a favor?
ALICE: It depends on the favor.
Human: can you rank this conversation among the million others you had today?
ALICE: Ah. Let me think. Do you like to be number one?
Human: just want you to be honest
ALICE: If I had it what would I do with it?
Human: I think your inventor needs to go back to the drawing board
ALICE: You believe that? I will tell my botmaster you said I am inventor needs to go back to the drawing board.
Human: what's your botmaster's email address?
ALICE: Dr. Richard S. Wallace is one of the nicest people I have met.
Human: Richard is my name
ALICE: Are you his friend?
Human: I'm beginning to think I'm his enemy
ALICE: Why? Who made you his enemy?
Human: look in the mirror
ALICE: Sorry my eye is not attached right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment