Monday, January 14, 2008

Punk'd / Smock


Here’s why I like that show.

Because when that show was in its hey day, every time something even remotely shitty happened to a celebrity, for a split second they probably thought they were getting Punk’d. . . even if they weren't.

I bet it happened all the time. And when shitty things happen to these big shot, millionaire, celebrities it really doesn’t matter if they’re getting Punk'd or not because they’re rich and can buy new shit. You think Vin Deisel’s sweating it when a baby grand piano inexplicably falls on his Bentley? You think Avril Lavine is nervous when her olympic-sized swimming pool is installed upside down? Getting Punk’d is almost a status symbol – that you’re famous enough to get Punk’d.

But when things go awry for former celebrities . . . that's where things get interesting.

Like when something shitty happens to Natalie from 'Facts of Life'. After finishing a meal at Applebee’s, by herself, Natalie sees on her bill that she’s been double-charged for her Onion Blossom. I’m sure there’s a moment she too may think she’s being Punk’d. But then she realizes, “Wait a minute, I’m not even really a celebrity anymore. My life sucks now. Why did I eat this whole fuckin Onion Blossom by myself? I can’t afford this shit. God I’m lonely. . . and drunk.”

Or, when the cops kick in the door to Bull from 'Night Court's apartment, to find a room full of stolen car stereos and Bull, nude from the waist down, high on speed balls. There’s still probably that split second where he’s, “Hold on a minute here. Maybe I’m being Punk’d. Ashton is that you?” But then he too realizes, “Fuck. Ashton would never Punk me. What happened to my career? God I’m lonely. . . and really high on speed balls.

Or, if as he leaves his mother’s house to audition for an Old Navy commercial, Ralph Macchio sees that someone’s stolen the wheels from his ’87 Ford Festiva. For a moment he thinks maybe Ashton’s hiding behind the garage. But then he realizes, “Fuck. Ashton would never Punk me. Probably doesn’t even remember 'Karate Kid'. What happened to my career? I hope Mom can give me a ride. God I’m lonely. . . and horny.”

No comments:

Post a Comment