Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sign origin explanation / Jackal


There's a hand written sign taped on top of the chip rack in the bodega on the corner of Flatbush Ave. and Plaza St. that says "No bag for 2 bags of chips". I find it odd that anyone would go out of their way to post a sign specifically stating their policy regarding bag offerings after the purchase of two bags of chips. There had to be some sort of back story.
I imagine it went something like this:

August 14th 2008 - 3:35 PM EST:
Customer: Good day to you sir. Just the two bags of chips for me today. I have on my person a snack-sized Dorito and a snack-sized Funyans.
Clerk: That'll be $1.50
Customer: A modest price to pay for such a delectable treat. Wouldn't you say?
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: And may I have a bag, kind sir?
Clerk places chips in bag.
Customer: Excellent!
Customer exits store.

August 15th 2008 - 3:31 PM EST:
Customer: Ahhh my good man! I trust the day finds you well?
Clerk: May I help you?
Customer:
Indeed you may. A single bag of Doritos of the Cool Ranch variety as well as an equally single bag of UTZ Sour Cream & Onion. That should do the trick today old sport.
Clerk: That'll be $1.50
Customer: A solitary dollar and two individual quarters you say? Surely you jest. It's a small wonder that such salty satisfaction could be had for such a paltry sum. Wouldn't you agree?
Clerk: $1.50
Customer: Of course. And here you are.
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: And could I trouble you for a bag?
Clerk places chips in bag.
Customer: Stupendous then!
Customer exits store.

August 16th 2008 - 3:36 PM EST:
Customer: There he is! It appears as if fate has seen it fit to once again place us in the same joyous perimeter.
Clerk: May I help you?
Customer: You are, in fact, the sole being who can help me. For here I stand with a small sack of Chili n' Cheese Fritos as well as a tiny package of Ruffles original flavor and law dictates that I must exchange currency for the aforementioned morsels of salty goodness.
Clerk: $1.50
Customer: As sure as the sun rises in the east will my guilty pleasure set me back that precise amount you've stated but would it surprise you if I were to say that I had some variety to offer you this fine day in the change department?
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: Instead of the dollar bill and quarter you've no doubt grown accustomed to, today I proudly present to you five quarters, two dimes, and a nickel!
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: And all that remains is the matter of the bag.
Clerk: Excuse me?
Customer: The meager plastic carry-all. I shall require one.
Clerk: Huh?
Customer: 'May I have a bag?' is the inquiry I'm so feebly and foolishly trying to express. A thousand pardons for my round about and fancy way of asking.
Clerk places chips in bag.
Customer: Sir you are a gentleman as well as a scholar!
Customer exits store.

August 17th 2008 - 3:26 PM EST:
Customer: Friend, I feel pleasantries, although a must, do not serve justice to our righteous bond!
Clerk: May I help you?
Customer: I admire your steadfastness to the task at hand. A finer businessman no man shall find. You may think I exaggerate, but I assure you my feelings are as firm as your furled brow.
Clerk: May I help you?
Customer: Well played once again. Your point has certainly found it's mark. In my right hand I hold an 11.5 ounce bag of Baked Lays and in the left. . . what could it be but yet another 11.5 ounce bag of Baked Lays! That's 23 ounces and healthy satisfaction all for the always reasonable price of. . .
Clerk: $1.
Customer: Ahhh, I insist you do me no favors my liege. We may be thick as thieves but I demand to pay the same price as the other fine citizens of this fair village.
Clerk: It's a special. Two for a dollar.
Customer: And with that I declare this to be the most surprising of circumstances for which I am woefully unprepared. My delight-filled heart patters at speeds previously thought unattainable. For whatever shall I do with my extra pair of quarters?
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: A third bag perhaps? Your thoughts on such a bold maneuver?
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: Your thoughts?
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: Mmmm I see. Knowing you as I now do I can plainly interpret your minimal participation in the verbal exchange department as a palpable scream to mind my path and stay the course. Just the two bags today, for the third will be waiting here when a new day arises, as days have a habit of doing.
Clerk: Will that be all?
Customer: A bag please - to transport my discounted prize.
Clerk places chips in bag.
Customer: Until tomorrow dear scribe.
Customer exits store.

August 18th 2008 - 3:15 PM EST:
Clerk places sign on chip rack reading, "No bag for 2 bags of chips".

August 18th 2008 - 3:28 PM EST:
Customer: Ahhh! A brief dusk and a brief dawn have passed and here we are again.
Clerk: May I help you?
Customer: Indeed you may. But alas, first I must help myself as a eagerly pluck a single-sized portion of Cheetos as well as a single-sized portion of Munchos. Two separate yet delicious varieties that are soon to become one in my all too privileged mouth, throat, esophagus, stomach, small intestine, and dare I say anal cavity.
Clerk: $1.50
Customer: I must say your tone, while always pleasant and welcoming, carries a tinge of additional joy today. Could it be that my familiar presence and sharp wit has brought to you a supplemental ray of sunshine that the very sky could not provide? Please do me a favor and refrain from answering as the means to your happiness are no business of mine.
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: And I thank you for your cooperation. As always, I cherish your silence as the drifter cherishes his sole sack of possessions.
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: And on the discussion of sacks. All that remains in our spirited transaction, the final act as they say, and when I say 'final act' I mean it in the sense of it being the most important and crucial of the interactions we share, the solitary step in the process that ensures my return each and every day, is you placing my proudly purchased chips in a vestibule by which I may carry them home to enjoy.
Clerk: (no response)
Customer: A bag if you may?
Clerk smiles and points toward sign.

No comments:

Post a Comment