Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Pop's shaky justification / Smelt


> . . . a beautiful wreath for Pat Neppal. Her mother's in the hospital so a bunch of us went over there for coffee last Thursday. She's sponge painted her bathroom herself and it looks really neat.
>Uh huh. What's Dad up to?
>He's outside painting the house.
>Still? I thought he had finished that weeks ago?
>All except for the very top of the north side. The ladder's not tall enough to reach so I think he's got it standing on the boat trailer. I told him it was too dangerous but he insists on finishing it himself.
>A ladder on top of a boat trailer? Did he drag the trailer to the side of the house?
>Yes. Ronnie helped him.
>The side of the house isn't exactly level. Is Ronnie at least holding it steady?
>Ronnie and Carol left early this morning for Yuma. Hold on your dad just walked in.
>Let me talk to him.
>Hello?
>Dad what are you trying to do kill yourself?
>What?
>The ladder. You got it on a boat trailer?
>It wasn't tall enough.
>You think that's safe?
>I braced the wheels with rocks. She's not going anywhere.
>What if you fell?
>Well. . . I figured if I fall from way the hell up there I'm dead anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment