Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Eulogy template / Florence Flapper


What to say about INSERT NAME.

I could tell you that HE/SHE was a lover of music and movies. I could tell you INSERT NAME enjoyed traveling and spending time with family and friends. I could tell you HE/SHE took pride in HIS/HER job and was a well respected member of this community.

But we already know that.

What I think needs to be said, and what I think today is about, is how we're all better people today for having known INSERT NAME. Because let's face it, there were times when HE/SHE wasn't so easy to get along with. [pause for laugh] Whether it was being a sore loser at Monopoly, taking offense to wise cracks about HIS/HER latest haircut, or getting lost while driving, INSERT NAME did not suffer from a lack of passion. [pause for laugh] But I think we can all agree that it was that passion, that lust for life, that made INSERT NAME such a wonderful person in the first place.

Not to say HE/SHE didn't have a softer side. It may surprise some of you to hear that I had some deep conversations with INSERT NAME about things such as love, philosophy, and the meaning of life. I can honestly say those were some of the best conversations I ever had. For those of us closest to INSERT NAME that had the privilege of sharing these cherished moments I think you'll back me up when I say that while HIS/HER views on politics may be a little skewed [pause for laugh] HE/SHE sure did have a lot of love to share. Lucky for us there was plenty to go around.

And man was HE/SHE funny! I recall a particular weekend several years ago we spent together with some mutual friends. We were all looking forward to a couple days away from it all, soaking up the sun and partaking in a few beverages with umbrellas sticking out! [pause for laugh] Can I tell you that it rained the whole time! We were all stuck in this tiny room and it didn't take long before we all started getting on each others nerves. The whole weekend was at risk of being classified as a bonafide disaster but wouldn't you know it, INSERT NAME had the crazy idea of having a picnic in the rain! Soon enough there we all were, sitting on a wet blanket eating soggy sandwiches laughing our heads off! [pause for laugh] But that's the kind of person INSERT NAME was. Always looking at the bright side. Always seeing the light through the clouds.

So with that in mind I think it's important today to focus on how INSERT NAME lived, rather than how INSERT NAME died. Celebrate HIS/HER life rather than mourn HIS/HER death. I think we can all agree that's the way INSERT NAME would have wanted it. I can picture HIM/HER now looking down on us right now and yelling, "Why the long faces folks? And why are you all dressed up? Take off your ties and your high heels, slip into some jeans and let's go BOWLING/OUT TO EAT/TO THE BEACH [pause for laugh] Life is too short!"

Well I'm not one to deny a GUY/GIRL HIS/HER last request. [take off TIE/HIGH HEELS]
So thank you INSERT NAME. Thank you for reminding us all what it means to be a good friend, a wonderful MOTHER/FATHER/BROTHER/SISTER/SON/DAUGHTER, and a horrible driver. [pause for laugh]

Now let's go BOWLING/OUT TO EAT/TO THE BEACH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment