Thursday, May 14, 2009

Various cerebral locations / Loretta Showers

I don't know why but my brain sometimes just goes places. The thin winter air seeps in through the ears and slowly envelopes the mind and allows it to hover there, between blood and bone. There it's free to stretch and contract, contract and stretch, until it pops loose and wanders.

So that it does.

It rises high above my existence so that the very edges come into view and there I am in the most literal sense of the words 'there', 'I', and 'am'. Complicated situations turn comical because humor comes easy when nothing bleeds off the margins.

It doesn't linger though.

Next it's in a hermetically sealed tupperware container. There it sweats and methodically pokes and scratches at the lid from the inside. A white starburst pattern slowly forms in the plastic where it tries to force its way out. The pattern spreads. Before it breaks free it ponders coffee carts, modems, and neck ties.

It saunters on.

My brain is resting on a display stand now. That display stand sits on a sheer white table surrounded by television cameras. A sad man with a headset microphone bellows at the cameras and the spitle flies. You've never seen a brain like this he says. Supplies are limited so call in now he demands. Now only $39.95 he lies. OK $29.95 he admits. The phones do not ring. Show them how it wiggles his producer recommends.

He does.

From there it treks back into my skull where it peers out through the orbital cavity at you, standing here, as we speak. It does what it does with your words and inflections and expressions and such. It doesn't understand you but it tells me it does. That's how we work. The lies it tells make me second guess it all and before you know it I've been tricked again and it's off on it's travels once more.

That damned winter air.

No comments:

Post a Comment