Sunday, August 29, 2010

Allographs / Vivian Moomph

It don't understand why people covet autographs. I get the whole idea of wanting some sort of keepsake, something tangible that you can keep in the shoe box under your bed or use as proof that the encounter took place, but why ask Tom Hanks to write his own name on a piece of paper? It's the photographic equivalent of asking him to take a picture of himself and then give you the photograph. Seems stupid to me.

I think it would make more sense to ask Tom Hanks to sign your name. That's more of a one-of-a-kind memento. Ideally he'd want to do it right too, so he'd ask you how you handled your capital 'S's, your lowercase 'f's, or how emphatically you crossed your 't's. True artists would want to do it right.

If you were lucky enough to amass a collection you could create a scrapbook of sorts to show off to your friends.

"I don't get it. It looks like your name signed a bunch of times. Most are spelled incorrectly too."

"Yeah but I didn't sign any of these. That one is Jean-Claude Van Damme and this one is Snoop Dogg."

"OK but how do I know that's true? Anybody could have signed these?"

"Check out the pictures."

"But they are all pictures of you."

"Yeah but I didn't take them. Van Damme and Snoop did."

No comments:

Post a Comment