Monday, August 3, 2009

Three athlete retrospectives courtesy of my father / Biff Margins

On the career of Carl Lewis, American track and field Olympian:

If you ask me Carl Lewis was the greatest athlete of our time. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anyone match what he was able to do for many many years. You don't see guys nowadays compete in the 100, 200, and long jump and be that good at all three. I don't know exactly how many gold medals he won but let's just say that it was a lot. And the thing is he was never that cocky about it. He seems to be to be a very nice and kind man. I remember the race in Calgary in 1988, the 100 yard dash, where Ben Johnson broke the world record but later got caught for using steroids. Well Carl Lewis was second in that race and he would've broke the world record too. You see Carl Lewis never used steroids and I've always respected him for that. I wonder what he's doing nowadays. It's odd that you don't hear too much about him anymore. What an athlete. Man!

On the career of Brett Favre, Legendary NFL Quarterback:

Probably the greatest quarterback of all time. It was amazing how he could just gun the ball in there. Fshhhhew!! Right on target. And the number of games he played in a row was just incredible. Something like 16 straight seasons. I mean I'd be surprised if we ever saw anyone top that. What people don't remember is how bad the Packers were before he came along. I mean they were pathetic. But once he and Holmgren came to town they turned things around pretty quick. I think Favre and Holmgren had a special bond. Sometimes Brett would rifle a few passes that maybe he shouldn't have and I think Holmgren knew how to put him in his place. I still don't understand why they didn't bring him back last year. Heck he's the whole team!! I saw this show the other day and they were saying that he was a real goof ball in the locker room sometimes. For as long as he played you gotta say that he's one of the greatest athletes of our time.

On the career of Lance Armstrong, 7 time Tour de France winner:

This guy is unbelievable. I used to think Greg LeMond was the greatest cyclist ever but heck Lance Armstrong was something else. And to think he did it all when he had testicular cancer is just incredible. The way he'd just tackle those mountains - that was his strength. That's where he really excelled. The other bikers just couldn't keep up with him. Ha! I mean the shape that guys must be in is something else. Not an ounce of fat on that guy. And I imagine his thighs are like tree trunks to be able to attack those hills. Some people probably think he's on steroids or something but I don't think so. He's probably the greatest athlete of our time. I know he came up with that whole "Live Strong" bracelet thing which I think helped a lot of people and rose a lot of money for people with cancer. I wouldn't mind owning one of those. What an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment